TOPPER’S STRATEGY: Rohan Botre, Rank – 187, UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015UPSC Past papers by Exam Yatra - September 19, 2018
Rank – 187, CSE – 2015
- Masters of sciences (MS) Civil engineering—Purdue University, USA
- Bachelors of Engineering— Pune university, India
When I was in 10th standard I came across a documentary related to the IAS training academy at Mussoorie. I was inspired by that documentary and later tried to explore more information about the services like IAS and IPS. I was very much influenced by the work done by some renowned IAS and IPS officer , that I decided to study for this exam i,e UPSC
I was in the United states for a masters in civil engineering program at the famous Purdue University in the state of indiana. Being from a educational background (both parents are professors in pune) , I had decided to first complete my education with a MS degree. Even when I was in USA, I always kept this at the back of my mind that I have to go back to india after the MS program gets completed and start my ups preparation.During my stay abroad I constantly read articles from THE HINDU AND INDIAN EXPRESS.
I started my UPSC preparation In 2012. I selected Public administration and Sociology as my optional subjects. Before 2013 prelims there were two optional subjects. But in 2013 attempt I dropped sociology and selected Public administration as my optional.
This is the most crucial part of the process. Due to heavy competition prelim has become a cause of concern. I suggest you to complete as much as syllabus as possible for prelims… here are the sources:
- Spectrum: HIstory
- NCERT for ancient and medieval history (do not neglect this part)
- CCRT plus Art NCERT (very important for mains also)
- GC leong, 11th and 12th NCERT for geography
- Shankar IAS material for Envo
- Ramesh singh for economy.
- Laxmikant for polity
- Insights website for current happening through which you could solve many question related to IR, international organizations, polity etc.
- CSAT — any local class material (only 66 marks are needed now)
Read these sources thoroughly and completely..
I never took any classes for optional. My mother, being a professor of political science taught me this optional. Most important thing i would suggest aspirants is to focus on answer writing and notes making in public administration. This attempt i was able to score 226 (110 + 116) in
- I made extensive notes from various books like
- Stephen Robbins
- Mohit Bhattacharya
- IIPA journals
- ARC reports.
- Rajni Goyal.
- If possible Punchi commission report.
Essay – 129
GS 1 – 106
GS 2 – 82
GS 3 – 100
GS 4 – 113
Pub Ad 1. – 110
Pub Ad 2. – 116